With Natalie Shevchenko
Run, run, fast as you can,
You can’t catch me, I’m the gingerbread man!
~ The Gingerbread Man, a fairy tale
When I see a gingerbread cookies one of the first thing that comes to my mind is the scene from Shrek cartoon, with a brave little Ginger Man…
Gingerbread can take the shape of thin, crisp cookies like snaps, Polish pierniczki , Czech pernik , Russian pryanik , Croatian licitars , Scandinavian pepparkakor and Dutch speculaas cut into hearts or other fanciful shapes. The Germans like a softer, puffier version known as lebkuchen (I`ve recently tried one, my friend brought it for me from Vienna)
But today we`ll bake more crispy version of gingerbread cookies and if you have time to decorate them with icing-it could be perfect present for your friends and relatives, because the readymade cookies could be kept up to a month!
|East Indian tree widely cultivated in the tropics for its aromatic seed; source of two spices: nutmeg and mace
|cloves||the dried flower bud of a tropical tree, used as an aromatic spice||гвоздика|
|molasses||thick dark syrup produced by boiling down juice from sugar cane; especially during sugar refining
|snaps||a crisp round cookie flavored with ginger||твердое имбирное печенье|
|Crisp||Firm but easily broken||хрустящее|
1 tbsp. cacao
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. baking soda
250g sugar powder
1 egg white
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. warm water
1. Preheat oven to 170 deg. Prepare baking sheets.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cacao, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon until well blended.
3. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended..
4. Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic and put into refrigerator for at least 30min (perfectly 1 hour).
6. Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
7. Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin.
8. Cut out cookies with desired cutter-- the ginger bread man is our favorite of course.
9. Space cookies least 3 sm apart.
10. Bake for 7-10 minutes (the lower time will give you softer cookies).
11. Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough
12. After cookies are cool you may decorate them any way you like. We chose gingerbread man, Santa, star and snowflake)
13. For icing, mix together 1 egg white with sugar powder, lemon juice and water for 5-7 min until thick creamy texture. Pour icing into decorating bag and have fun creating your gingerbread cookies.
Merry Christmas and Sweet New Year!!!